Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Al Sutton wrote:

> D'Arcy,
>
> In production the database servers are seperate multi-processor machines
> with mirrored disks linked via Gigabit ethernet to the app server.
>
> In development I have people extremely familiar with MS, but not very hot
> with Unix in any flavour, who are developing Java and PHP code which is then
> passed into the QA phase where it's run on a replica of the production
> environment.
>
> My goal is to allow my developers to work on the platform they know (MS),
> using as many of the aspects of the production environment as possible (JVM
> version, PHP version, and hopefully database version), without needing to
> buy each new developer two machines, and incur the overhead of them
> familiarising themselves with a flavour of Unix.
>
> Hope this helps you understand where I'm comming from,

I know it's not windows native but using Cygwin would at least get you
out of the "two boxes on everybody's desktop" business.  And for deveopers
the difference in performance isn't all that great, as the only real
performance issue is the one of creating / dropping backend connections is
kinda slow.  Since they'd be running on their own boxes for testing, you
could probably just use persistant connections and get pretty good
performance.  What web server are they using?  If it's apache, just set
the number of max children down to something like 20 or so and they should
be fine.