Re: performance of insert/delete/update - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: performance of insert/delete/update
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Scott,

> I was discussing this on IRC, and nobody could verify this assertion.
>   Do you have an example of bunlding multiple writes into a transaction
> giving a performance gain?

Yes, my own experience.

It's quite easy to test if you have a database with a large table to play
with, use pg_dump to dump a table with the -d switch (makes the dump use
insert statements.)  Then, make two versions of the dump, one which has a
begin;end; pair around all the inserts and one that doesn't, then use psql
-e to restore both dumps.  The difference is HUGE.  Around 10 to 20 times
faster with the begin end pairs.

I'd think that anyone who's used postgresql for more than a few months
could corroborate my experience.