Re: performance enhancements for PostgreSQL: update - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: performance enhancements for PostgreSQL: update
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Johnson, Shaunn wrote:

> su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -o '-i -B 128 -N 64
> -d 2' \
> -p /usr/bin/postmaster start >/dev/null "

Doing it that way, you should be able to leave out the parts from -o on
and get it to use the postgresql.conf file settings.

> --is this true?   perhaps someone can verify this.

Generally speaking, while it still considered bad practice (or at least
somewhat "rude" :-) to kill -9 the postmaster, it isn't particularly
dangerous.  I've done it while heavily testing a database (pgbench -c 100
-t 5000) and it never once corrupted my database.

> --this is what the  /proc/mdstat says
>
> --[snip from /proc/mdstats]
>
> Personalities :
> read_ahead not set
> unused devices: <none>
>
> --[/snip from /proc/mdstats]
>
> That looks like a dead drive in your RAID array.  What does 'cat
> /proc/mdstat' say about the drive
>
> --i'm doing a linux software raid

Is there anymore to the /proc/mdstat entry?  normally you should have a
line that has a bit that names the drive partitions in the software raid
and has a bit showing which drives are online that looks something like
this: [UUUU] for all drives being UP.  And like this: [UU_U] where the
underscore shows a missing drive.  If you don't have a line like that
then Linux isn't doing the software RAID array.  Could it be that you
aren't actually running RAID but think you are?  Just wondering.