Re: Can I install 2nd set of postgresql into the same - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Can I install 2nd set of postgresql into the same
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, [iso-2022-jp] $B%"%`%9(B wrote:

> I am using rental server with root access. The server was initially set up
> with postgresql, but the db is used only for the server maintanance.
>
> I could not get connected to the database.
>
> The db was started with -i option. But still, I can not get it connected.
>
> The portnumber should be 5432 as default.
>
> Q1. How can I check to see if postgresql is using port 5432?
>
> I have put PGPORT=5432 at .bash_profile and exported it to make sure it is
> using port number 5432. But still I could not get connected.

Nobody's mentioned it yet, but I'm pretty sure all use of environmental
variables EXCEPT for PGDATA have been deprecated.

You need to find the postgresql.conf file your postmaster is using to
startup with (it should be in the $PGDATA directory, as defined by the
.bash_profile in the user account responsible for starting postgresql up)
and there should be a port number entry in there.