Re: Upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.2.3
Date
List pgsql-general
I ALWAYS do the first migration onto a test box first.  I.e. I pg_dumpall
on the old machine, ftp the file into the test server with a fresh build
of the new postgresql and do a pg_restore on that box to make sure the
upgrade will work.

It's not uncommon for things like sequences, rules, triggers, user defined
functions etc... to have some issues with an upgrade.

I've often found that using the pg_dump from the newer version of
postgresql against the older server is an answer to a lot of these
problems, and if I remember correctly, that was the fix for a few upgrade
issues when going to 7.2.x.