Re: DAFS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: DAFS?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Vincent Janelle wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2002 08:47:18 -0500
> Doug McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:
>
> > Graeme Hinchliffe <graeme@vianetworks.co.uk> writes:
> >
> > > but dafs isn't nfs.  we were trialing netapp for storage but are
> > > going back to local disks as the db ran VERY slowly in comparison.
> > > dafs should accelerate things from what i have read.
> >
> > If it presents a POSIX filesystem API then PG should work OK with it.
> >
> > -Doug
>
> Doesn't appear to.  A quick scan of the SDK docs appears as though as if
> its a direct implementation to access the storage of a device supporting
> it by applications, such as database servers over a network.. Kinda like
> raw devices.

Look and see if there's some code out there for your OS (Linux???) to
mount a remote network device like this in loop back mode.

Then you might be able to let the OS turn it into a file system for the
database, which would get you caching on the database server box at the
file system level, but block access across the network for speed.

Then test it as thouroughly as an Apollo mission. :-)