count and group by question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From
Subject count and group by question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I have a query which contains both a group by and a count, e.g:

SELECT  to_char(pa_shopping_cart.delivery_date, 'FMMM/FMDD/YY') AS delivery_date,  pa_products.product_name AS
product_name, pa_orders.order_state AS state,  count(*) AS count

FROM pa_shopping_cart, pa_products, pa_orders
WHERE pa_shopping_cart.order_id = pa_orders.order_id AND pa_shopping_cart.product_id = pa_products.product_id
GROUP BY pa_shopping_cart.delivery_date, pa_products.product_name, pa_orders.order_state
ORDER BY pa_shopping_cart.delivery_date, pa_products.product_name;

This query is really handy because it gives me the count of each
product grouping by delivery within each possible order state.

Here's the question - I would like to get the count of how many tuples are
returned total.  With most queries, count(*) works great for this purpose,
however I need something that will give me the total count of tuples
returned even when there is a grouping.

Any ideas?

Ryan Mahoney