Re: Eurodates by default - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Yury Bokhoncovich
Subject Re: Eurodates by default
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hello!

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> One issues was that the semantics of DateStyle don't fit well into GUC.
> DateStyle takes one or two strings and sets one or two integer variables.
> GUC basically only supports once argument setting one variable of equal
> type.  It can probably still be made to work with all the hooks that are
> in place, but it doesn't look pretty.
>
> I had once suggested splitting up DateStyle into two variables, one for
> the "style" and for the day/month order.  I think this is ultimately
> clearer to the user, too.

I think it's better to split "datestyle" (representation, separator, etc.,
there is many ways) and "eurodates" (order, de-facto european vs american
- I don't know about any other). The former fits well to string type, the
latter fits to boolean one.

> Others have suggested generalizing the "style" aspect to take a to_char
> format.  This comes with its own set of problems.

I don't like this: unclear and not easy.
Though there is a reason to do that 'cos it will be more similar to
Oracle (forget exact name of the env. variable fully controlling date
format).

--
WBR, Yury Bokhoncovich, Senior System Administrator, NOC of F1 Group.
Phone: +7 (3832) 106228, ext.140, E-mail: byg@center-f1.ru.