Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Yury Bokhoncovich
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE OWNER: change indexes
Date
List pgsql-patches
Hello!

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Actually, more to the point, the table owner does own the indexes.  I
[skip]
> > Sometimes it is very useful to have one owner on a table and another owner
> > on indices of that table (all from real life).
> > BTW, compare with MySQL privileges to manage index/indices.
> Can you explain the advantages?  We don't allow that currently.

Sure. Though I don't think it is a high priority task.

1) There is a table with bulk data updates periodically. The best found
solution to enhance performance was to drop all table's indices before
data update then re-create those again.
2) I (admin) have a few tables as owner and wanna give another user
(programmer) ability to create/drop any necessary indices. At the same
time I do not wanna give him (her) a chance to drop/alter the table
itself.

BTW, If ppl want to be more similar to Oracle, remember that it also has
the feature to manage indeces.

--
WBR, Yury Bokhoncovich, Senior System Administrator, NOC of F1 Group.
Phone: +7 (3832) 106228, ext.140, E-mail: byg@center-f1.ru.