Re: Allowing usernames in pg_hba.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dominic J. Eidson
Subject Re: Allowing usernames in pg_hba.conf
Date
Re: Allowing usernames in pg_hba.conf  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> > Is there a way to grant another user access (full/limited) to an entire
> > database?
> >
> > Right now pg_hba.conf controls connectivity to a database.
> >
> > However from the docs it seems that one has to do a grant for _every_
> > table.  if a new table is created the user can't access it. This can be
> > annoying in some situations.
>
> Table access and database access are different issues.  One is controled
> by pg_hba.conf and other by GRANT.  There is no mass-GRANT capability.

I'd started a long-ish post about how pgsql should have a proper
permission model for user-to-database access - when someone pointed me to
the following url, which I'd like to bring to everybody's attention:

http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgtodo?privileges

Is this something PeterE's still looking at doing for 7.(I guess 3, now?)

--
Dominic J. Eidson                                       "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
http://www.the-infinite.org/              http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/