Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brian Bruns
Subject Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 7 Feb 2002, Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-02-07 at 07:20, Brian Bruns wrote:
> >
> > For my purposes (DRDA) the present SQL dialect is just fine since the DRDA
> > standard is really orthogonal to the SQL 9x standards.  So, hopefully if I
> > don't get bogged down with other stuff, the infrastructure will be there
> > to plug into when the time comes...although it'd be nice to be aware of
> > some of the nuances before hand to accomadate them.
>
> What is the relation of DRDA to SQL/CLI (SQL Call Level Interface, part
> 3 of the standard) ?

DRDA, SQL 9x, and SQL/CLI (ODBC) form a complimentary set of standards.

SQL 9x obviously specifies the SQL language and constructs.  SQL/CLI
addressses application portability with an API.  DRDA on the other hand is
a bits on the wire protocol.  So one would have a program using the ODBC
API to send DRDA over the network to invoke SQL on the server.

DRDA clients do not necessarily have to be ODBC, indeed there are JDBC
ones.  OpenDRDA (my little endeavour) will be an ODBC/SQL CLI driver on
the client side, and something of a non-standard interface on the server
(postgresql) side, if only because there is no standard for server side
interfaces.  Actually I have the ODBC driver partially working against IBM
DB2, but it's still, of course, in the beginning stages.

Cheers,

Brian