DRDA, network protocol, and documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Brian Bruns
Subject DRDA, network protocol, and documentation
Date
Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
Re: DRDA, network protocol, and documentation  (Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi all,

I'm working on an implementation of the DRDA protocol and am planning on
modifying postgresql to support DRDA.  (DRDA is an Open Group standard
protocol for client to database communications, promoted mostly by IBM).

Anyway, as a first step towards this I was hoping to expand the
documentation of the Frontend/Backend Protocol and create some detailed
developer oriented documentation of the internals of the networking code.

Can someone point me towards any documentation that might currently be
available (I'm aware of the Developer's Guide), and any pointers on
getting started would be appreciated as well. ;-)

I also noticed on the TODO list someone has put SQL*Net support as a
network protocol.  Is this a serious plan or just a pipedream?  Part of
what I'm aiming to do is make the network protocol stuff fairly modular so
you could support the current protocol, and DRDA, and presumably SQL*Net
or TDS (Microsoft/Sybases protocol), etc...

Cheers,

Brian