Re: PostgreSQL HardWare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeffrey W. Baker
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date
List pgsql-general

On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Uros Gruber wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm new in postgres so I have one question here. Many of you say that
> you can put database in RAM.
>
> What should i do to tell Postgre to use for example 512MB of RAM an
> put everything in it. What i have to put in config.

This isn't really necessary.  On any reasonable operating system, the
kernel will keep disk contents in RAM for fast access.  You needn't worry
about it.

If you REALLY insist on doing this, you need to make a filesystem in RAM
and put your databases there.  In Linux use the ramdisk driver.

-jwb