Re: PostgreSQL HardWare - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sheer El-Showk
Subject Re: PostgreSQL HardWare
Date
List pgsql-general
I ran some performance test on a system with ~100k records in each
of several primary tables.  The system was being used both as a db host
and as a host for the testing applications (it was just my home system).
It was a PIII 1 Ghz, 256 (maybe 400 at the time) MB Ram, IDE disk.  It
performed very well ... maxing out at some very respectible number of
inserts and selects per second.  I don't recall the exact statistics but
I posted all that info to the list so you should be able to find it in
the archives (around september or november of 2001).

It also scaled without problem once the appropriate indices were in place
(this is very important ... performance will really hurt without it).  I
wasn't doing any extremely complicated queries.

I had no triggers but most tables had one or two foreign keys on them.
I think your configuration will be fine.

Regards,
Sheer