Re: [HACKERS] Serious performance problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tille, Andreas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Serious performance problem
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Have you done tests on MS SQL with xx million rows. How much data are you
> going to have in a single database?
No because I will not have such a database in the next couple of years.
Why should I?  But there are people who claim to do this successfully (not
verified ba myself for sure).

> Yes.This is what multi-dimensional databases do.$
> This time, we will do it "by hand" in PostgreSQL.
> With good naming conventions, this will be clean.
Am I ignorant or why do I fail to see the relation to my original problem
that PostgreSQL performs more than 10 times slower than SQL server for a
*simple* task.  I consider it inacceptable for the simple task but you
are talking about hard tasks.  I´m afraid we are talking about different
things.

> >using indexes strictly.  So chances are high that we will run into
> >performance trouble again even if we now could cope with the problems.
>
> Beware PHP native MS SQL driver do not work well.
Oh please do not remind me on the consequences if my PostgreSQL efforts
would fail.  It would not be PHP.  It would be worse.  It would be the
technique of the same people who wrote MS-SQL server *shrug*.  And not
only this it would mean that *each* web stuff would be done with ASP
stuff because people mean that we should stick to just one web technology
(which is not wrong in principle).  My choice was PostgreSQL + Zope ...

May be I would give MySQL a trial before ...

> This is for programming in PL/pgSQL and administrating PostgreSQL .
> Without pgAdmin, you will quickly mess-up with objects (tables, views,
> triggers).
Huh, than I hope we would get a port of it soon ...
But in the moment I had no problems without it.

Kind regards

        Andreas.