Re: New RPMS ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Subject Re: New RPMS ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Fernando Lozano wrote:

> Hi Trond,
>
> > > Are there plans for 7.1.3 RPMS for Red Hat 6.2 and other systems using
> > > the older glibc and rpm format?
> >
> > FWIW, while a version for RHL 6.2 makes sense because of glibc issues
> > (and other libraries), the supported rpm format for RHL 6.2 is v4.
> > Erratas (you have applied those, right? ;) also come in that format.
>
> I have not aplied those. I don't know what I did wrong, but I broke two
> systems (had to reinstall) when trying to update the rpm subsystem. But
> that's my fault, I'll solve this eventually.

It's documented on the support site how to do it... upgrade the rpms (rpm,
popt, db3), do a "rpm --rebuild".

> I'd like to have updated rpms for 6.2 for a number of packages and I
> wonder if Red Hat or someone else will provide these or not.

We typically don't upgrade an existing distribution unless there is a
compelling reason to do so - security or serious bugs affecting many
users, typically. And when we do that, we prefer to apply the fix to the
old version to upgrade.

Reasons? Testing, integration, stability. We want e.g "RHL 6.2" to be
fairly stable in what it means, to make development easy (don't introduce
new libraries which not all users have) and support possible. Also, we
hopefully avoid introducing new bugs this way. And just testing the
component isn't sufficient - integration is also an issue. 20 various
components which users have or haven't upgraded make for a big number of
combinations.

> I am not talking just about PostgreSQL now. It is not nice to provide
> support for a number of customers without Unix and Linux culture and
> having to recompile everything from sources. :-(

If you want newer packages, get Red Hat Linux 7.1.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.