Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Tille
Subject Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> pg_hba.conf option on Debian called "peer" recently.  We don't have such
> an option and it was never submitted to us a a patch.
From 7usr/share/doc/postgresql/README.Debian.gz:
6. Unix socket authentication is provided (authentication type "peer").
   This works just like ident, but for Unix sockets; this provides a more
        secure method of authentication than ident, and does not require
        administrators to run identd on their servers.  This authentication
        method has been submitted to the upstream developers, but is not
        currently part of the upstream release.

I don´t know if the Debian maintainer has it submitted but I trust him
if he writes it in the relevant document.

Kind regards

        Andreas.