Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > pg_hba.conf option on Debian called "peer" recently.  We don't have such
> > an option and it was never submitted to us a a patch.
> >From 7usr/share/doc/postgresql/README.Debian.gz:
> 6. Unix socket authentication is provided (authentication type "peer").
>    This works just like ident, but for Unix sockets; this provides a more
>         secure method of authentication than ident, and does not require
>         administrators to run identd on their servers.  This authentication
>         method has been submitted to the upstream developers, but is not
>         currently part of the upstream release.
>
> I don?t know if the Debian maintainer has it submitted but I trust him
> if he writes it in the relevant document.

Again, PostgreSQL topic...

Hmm, that is interesting.  My guess is that we couldn't accept it
because most OS's can't do authentication on Unix-domain sockets.  It
must have been long ago because I don't remember it.  Peer is a nice
feature, though, and it would be nice if we could support it everywhere.
I don't like our 'trust' method.  Too open.