Re: Authentification - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Tille
Subject Re: Authentification
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> > I´m using PostgreSQL 7.1.2 (from Debian).  My pg_hba.conf looks like
>
> > # default
> > local        all                                           peer sameuser
>
> There is no such authentication type as "peer".
Hmm, seems to be a bug in the Debian package.
From /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf:

#   peer:       Authentication is done as for ident, but by obtaining user
#               identification from the Unix socket credentials.  (This
#               service is only supported by a few operating systems.  If
#               it is not usable in a particular implementation, use of
#               this method will cause an error.)  Username mapping is
#               exactly the same as for ident.

BUT:
If I remove the above line I get

_pg.error: No pg_hba.conf entry for host localhost, user testuser, database test

     conn = DB('test')

which worked *with* the line.  The the peer authentication type "peer" seems
to exist in the way it is described in the pg_hba.conf comment and is
necessary for the socket authentification via ident.
The same message do I get when trying the crypt athentication as in my
original question.

So it seems the line is evident for my setup.

Kind regards

           Andreas.