Re: timeout implementation issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: timeout implementation issues
Date
Re: timeout implementation issues  ("Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue@tpf.co.jp>)
Re: timeout implementation issues  (Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> I didn't say "transaction specific".  I said that if you do a SET inside
> a transaction block, and then the transaction is aborted, the effects of
> the SET ought to roll back along with everything else you did inside
> that transaction block.  I'm not seeing what the argument is against
> this.

I consider SET variables metadata that are not affected by transactions.
I should be able to change my mind about my session preferences in the
middle of a transaction, no matter what happens to the data in it.  Say
somewhere in the middle of a long transaction I think, "I should really be
logging this stuff".  I turn a knob to do so, and the next command fails.
Is the failure logged?  In which order does the rollback happen?  What if
I want to continue logging?

If anything were to change I would like to continue accepting SET commands
after an error.  Of course, I would like to continue accepting any command
after an error, but that's a different debate.

I guess it's a matter of definition: Do you consider SET variables
database state or session metadata?  I think some are this and some are
that.  I'm not sure how to draw the line, but throwing everything from one
category into the other isn't my favorite solution.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net