Re: Maintaining the list of release changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Maintaining the list of release changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Seems there are two uses for the CHANGES file, one is to enable
> developers to see what has been added to the tree since they last
> looked, best solved with cvslog,

No, a cvslog is in nature different from a list of user-visible changes.
We're not talking about the core group of developers here that read the
committers list anyway, we're talking about people that only look once in
a while and want to check development progress, try out the latest
features, and avoid sending in patches for things that are already done.

> and second, to make it easier to
> package the final HISTORY changes, which is 100x easier to do in one
> shot from the cvs logs than piecemeal.

There is no piecemeal.  If it's all in one place you just copy it over.
It's impossible to beat that.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net