Re: ok, I have another select for ya - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: ok, I have another select for ya
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
>bug_id is a field present in all three of my tables.
From my earilier question, I understand I need to use joins to avoid a
>cartesian join.
>This is my question, how can I do a:
>
>select * from summary,env_info,plat_info where summary.subject like
>'%test1%';
>properly?

I'd recommend using the JOIN syntax to create your set, and then applying
a WHERE clause to that set. For example:

SELECT * FROM summary s
         INNER JOIN env_info e ON (s.bug_id=e.bug_id)
         INNER JOIN plat_info p ON (s.bug_id=p.bug_id)
         WHERE s.subject LIKE '%test1%';

That way you're only doing the WHERE on the new set.

Note that the letters following the table names are used later for the dot
notation of the columns. This just makes it a bit more readable (to my
eye).

Regards,
Jw.
--