Re: Why do we use Tcl's compiler and flags? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Why do we use Tcl's compiler and flags?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> However, it doesn't appear to me that we'll get rid of all that much
> cruft if we change.  We'll still need to find and read tclConfig.sh
> in order to find out such interesting things as which shlibs libtcl.so
> is dependent on.  Why are you concerned about fixing something that's
> not especially broken?

It *is* especially broken if the compiler referenced by TCL_CC does not
exist on the system.  This situation is not uncommon on commercial
operating systems if the user did not shell out the extra cash for the
vendor's compiler suite, but the vendor did provide a Tcl installation.
We hear these bug reports once in a while, mostly from Solaris users.