Why do we use Tcl's compiler and flags? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Why do we use Tcl's compiler and flags?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
The only really interesting things that tclConfig.sh (and tkConfig.sh)
tells us are the names of various libraries.  But those names can be used
portably with any compiler, so I don't see why we need to subscribe to the
whole deal.  AFAICT, the rest (TCL_CC, TCL_SHLIB_SUFFIX, etc.) is merely a
help for people who don't know how to build shared libraries, but we do,
so we should use our own way.

Naah, don't tell me it breaks on HP-UX.  Make it work... ;-)