Re: Paths for C functions (was Re: Re: backend dies on 7.1.1 loading large datamodel.) - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Paths for C functions (was Re: Re: backend dies on 7.1.1 loading large datamodel.)
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane writes:

> In the long run I think we should abandon the notion that full path
> specifications are the preferred way to locate dynamic libraries.
> It would be a lot better for portability if C function libraries could
> be referred to like this:
>
> create function pltcl_call_handler() returns opaque
>     as 'pltcl' language 'C';
>
> where the backend automatically assumes that a relative path is relative
> to $PGLIB.  I'd like to see the backend adding the file extension too,
> to avoid platform dependencies (".so" is not universal).

We could have a run-time parameter that sets a path where to look for
modules.  Eventually, we might also want to take a look at libtool's
libltdl, the portable interface to dynamic loading, which would do this
and a number of other things for us.