Re: Time to insert - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Einar Karttunen
Subject Re: Time to insert
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 3 May 2001, Renaud Thonnart wrote:

> It is a little difficult to perform VACUUM analyse because I'm writing an
> application in C++ using libpq++.
> I Use version 7.0.3
> I try COPY too but result was about the same.

int PgConnection::ExecCommandOk("VACUUM ANALYZE");

If you can upgrading to 7.1 it will probably help with the performance
problem. The copy is good only if you perform very many inserts the
same time. I use a cron job that performs the vacuuming so I don't
have to worry about it in client aps. If you have multiple inserts,
but not so many that you should use a copy, try wrapping them in a
single transaction.

- Einar Karttunen