Re: Views... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: Views...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, Christian Marschalek wrote:

> I can't find the desciption of "views" in the PostgreSQL docs.
> Could somebody please point me out or explain database views to me?

http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.0/user/sql-createview.htm

This is a good start to see how they are used in PostgreSQL.

Briefly, a view is a 'virtual' table -- you create a view with a select
statement that can relate data between different tables or use a subset of
data from a specific table.  You can think of them as a 'saved query'.
Once you create a view, you can then query them just like a normal table.
You cannot, as of yet, update views in PostgreSQL, they are read only.

-- Brett
                   http://www.chapelperilous.net/btfwk/
As the poet said, "Only God can make a tree" -- probably because it's
so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.
        -- Woody Allen