Re: Foreign keys/unique values and views - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Einar Karttunen
Subject Re: Foreign keys/unique values and views
Date
Re: Foreign keys/unique values and views  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Richard Huxton wrote:

> I have to admit I've never tried referencing a view with a foreign key. I
> don't know if it's possible and I have to admit the idea makes me
> uncomfortable. Can't give a good reason why, but I'd apply constraints at
> the table level.
if one can reference a table with a foreign key it makes possible to
reference inheritance hierarchies. If I create a view from the parent
with CREATE VIEW name SELECT * FROM parent; (in v.7.1) it should contain
the entries from the children as well. Now if I could reference this view
I could simulate referencing parent and child tables easily.
What I have in mind is a hierarchy of persons all inheriting from a table
called person. Different kinds of persons have different attributes but
all have an id and name. What I want is that other tables could reference
these persons easily.

- Einar Karttunen