Re: possible to create CVS branch for proposed patch? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: possible to create CVS branch for proposed patch?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fred Yankowski writes:

> What do you see in our plan that implies "vast sections of
> platform-specific code" "littering the backend"?  If such changes are
> necessary, I want to know before we embark on this work.
>
> As far as this being "optional functional[ity]", I contend that
> PostgreSQL has no place as a ready-for-business tool on NT without
> this (or similar) work so that PG runs cleanly as a service, starting
> up and shutting down properly.

Having one program do different things on different platforms is something
that should be avoided at all costs, IMHO.  Every platform has its,
varyingly complex, requirements for starting daemons at boot time, but
still the backend is isolated from these considerations.  For that we have
pg_ctl, contrib/start-scripts, or other solutions.  Before I see specific
code I can't comment on your issue, but it's hard to imagine that a
wrapper program couldn't cover it.