Re: possible to create CVS branch for proposed patch? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Fred Yankowski
Subject Re: possible to create CVS branch for proposed patch?
Date
Re: possible to create CVS branch for proposed patch?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 07:43:25PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Seems like something that should be done in a separate wrapper program.
> Littering the backend with vast sections of platform-specific code that
> provides optional functional is probably not going to fly, if I can assess
> this group correctly.

Our plan puts most of the work in a new NT/Cygwin-only version of
backend/main.c.  If we can use the existing signal() scheme to shut
down PG, then we might not have to touch _anything_ else.

What do you see in our plan that implies "vast sections of
platform-specific code" "littering the backend"?  If such changes are
necessary, I want to know before we embark on this work.

As far as this being "optional functional[ity]", I contend that
PostgreSQL has no place as a ready-for-business tool on NT without
this (or similar) work so that PG runs cleanly as a service, starting
up and shutting down properly.

--
Fred Yankowski           fred@OntoSys.com      tel: +1.630.879.1312
Principal Consultant     www.OntoSys.com       fax: +1.630.879.1370