Re: Shouldn't non-MULTIBYTE backend refuse to start in MB database? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Shouldn't non-MULTIBYTE backend refuse to start in MB database?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> We now have defenses against running a non-LOCALE-enabled backend in a
> database that was created in non-C locale.  Shouldn't we likewise
> prevent a non-MULTIBYTE-enabled backend from running in a database with
> a multibyte encoding that's not SQL_ASCII?  Or am I missing a reason why
> that is safe?

Not all multibyte encodings are actually "multi"-byte, e.g., LATIN2.  In
that case the main benefit is the on-the-fly recoding between the client
and the server.  If a non-MB server encounters that database it should
still work.