Re: XLogWrite: had to create new log file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: XLogWrite: had to create new log file
Date
List pgsql-general
Thomas T. Thai writes:

> should i worry about these DEBUGs in my log file?
>
> DEBUG:  MoveOfflineLogs: remove 00000004000000B6
> DEBUG:  MoveOfflineLogs: remove 00000004000000B5
> DEBUG:  XLogWrite: had to create new log file - you probably should do
> checkpoints more often

No, but you probably should do checkpoints more often. ;-)

The way I understand it, a "checkpoint" is when the server flushes the old
log files (WAL files, not the message log).  It does that automatically
every few minutes, or when the log file has reached a certain size.  If
you get these messages then the latter case has happened, which is
presumably a bit of a performance hit.  Then if you do checkpoints more
frequently these won't happen because the log files are flushed when idle.

The documentation is admittedly lacking in that area.