Re: How to drop a NOT NULL column constraint? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: How to drop a NOT NULL column constraint?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Ed Loehr wrote:

> I have a table created like so:
>
>     CREATE TABLE foo (
>         id INTEGER NOT NULL
>     );
>
> I need to alter the table to get rid of the "NOT NULL" constraint on the
> 'id' column.  Can I do this using ALTER TABLE?  Or do I have to
> dump/recreate/reload the table?
>
> I'm looking for something like "ALTER TABLE foo ALTER COLUMN id DROP NOT
> NULL", but the docs don't hint at it...

I don't think Postgres supports DROP CONSTRAINT in the ALTER TABLE
statement yet.  You'll need to create a temp table with the same structure
but without the constaint and do a SELECT INTO to copy the data over, then
delete the old table and rename the new table to the old name.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Shah, shah!  Ayatollah you so!