Re: Ammunition / store.pgsql.com - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Ammunition / store.pgsql.com
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 acc@anthonychavez.org wrote:

> I'm writing to you today for two reasons.  First of all, it has been
> brought to my attention that the "Community Advocate for MySQL" will be
> making an appearance (see below) at the local Linux User's Group.
> Though I don't want to come across as a troll, I would like to take the
> opportunity to do some advocacy of my own.  I'd like to have a firm
> grasp on the differences between PostgreSQL and MySQL and what, exactly,
> makes PostgreSQL outshine.

I know Zak and have been to several conferences with him -- as have Bruce,
Tom, Joe Conway, etc. He is very experienced and knows what he is
talking about. As such, the only way to score points is: a) Look at the
open source model of Postgres vs. MySQL. MySQL is in house, Postgres is
community. b) Go and install MySQL yourself and see what it lacks: SQL99
compliance, stability, high concurrency, fanatic concern about data
integrity, a large number of polished features that you find in
Postgres, etc. These are important. c) Give a follow up talk at your next
meet on PostgreSQL (this is the most important): MySQL has now created a
market of interested users -- the best thing you can do is give an
informed talk about the alternatives.

Gavin