Re: bad unicode characters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nigel J. Andrews
Subject Re: bad unicode characters
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Toby Tremayne wrote:

> hi all,
>
>         I've been trying to debug this for ages - I have a dump of a database
> that
> I'm trying to restore to a new db created with "with encoding = 'unicode'"
> and I get the following two errors:
>
> ERROR:  copy: line 1298, Invalid UNICODE character sequence found (0xe46e67)
> lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
> ERROR:  copy: line 205, Invalid UNICODE character sequence found (0xed7427)
> lost synchronization with server, resetting connection
>
> Thing is I've tried desperately to locate the characters it's talking about
> and I can't for the life of me.  I've tried line 1298 of the copy statement
> that seems to be failing, I've tried line 1298 or the script, I've tried the
> record in that copy statement that is noted as record 1298 - all of them look
> fine to me in vi and shed.  I'm completely stumped - has anyone had this
> problem before?  I'd appreciate any help offered - even if it's just how to
> find these darn characters!
>
> I'm using postgres 7.3.2 on SuSE 8.2 (linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon)

What encoding was your dump created in and is that client encoding being set
properly during the restore?

It's not likely that is has that wrong but it's worth checking as the only
other thing I can think of is that the dump encoding to unicode conversion is
broken.

--
Nigel Andrews