Re: could not login as a root - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nigel J. Andrews
Subject Re: could not login as a root
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Mukund Pate wrote:

> hi sir,
>
> i could not login as a root it give the error " root is not exist"
>
> i can login as a another user plz help me how to login as root.
>
> mukund

When the superuser is mentioned it means the user who installed and runs the
database _not_ the system's superuser.

Either su to the database superuser's system account, usually postgres, and try
connecting or specify the database superuser name when connecting to the
database.

Generally, I see no reason why you should be attempting to use database
applications as the system superuser. It comes under the 'don't do things as
root when you don't need to be root to do them' rule.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---