Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Sherry
Subject Re: Rationalizing EXPLAIN VERBOSE output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:

> > > I am confused.  Which grammar do you like?
> >
> > Neither =).
>
> OK, would you suggest one?

I don't think there needs to be a grammar change. I think that Tom's
qualification changes should go into non-verbose EXPLAIN and that pretty
vs. non-pretty debug just gets handled via debug_print_pretty.

The disadvantage of this is, of course, that users would want to be able
to change debug_print_pretty. I don't think that the solution to this is
another GUC variable though. I think it EXPLAIN output tables.

Yes, this results in a grammar change but IMHO users get a lot more out of
this modification than levels, since they can store/manipulate EXPLAIN
output if they choose. Naturally, there would be a psql \command tie in.

This is does some of what I want to get into a release some time in the
future: auditing. Perhaps storage of explain output would be more suited
to that. Just my 2 cents.

Gavin