Re: ever growing pkey files - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From matthew.copeland@honeywell.com
Subject Re: ever growing pkey files
Date
List pgsql-admin
> Yeah, VACUUM doesn't shrink indexes presently (it's on the TODO
> list...).
>
> > PostgreSQL version 7.0.3 running under Linux.
>
> You could try REINDEX to rebuild the indexes, but I'd recommend updating
> to 7.1.2 (or soon, 7.1.3) first.  I don't recall whether REINDEX is
> available/trustworthy in 7.0.
>
> A grottier solution is to DROP and re-CREATE the indexes.

I can do that on a primary key?  I didn't realize that.  I tried switching
to PostgreSQL 7.1 when it first came out, but it now handles ansynchronous
notification differently to the point where my old code doesn't work
anymore.  It mentioned something at the time about not having the feature
implemented or it being wrong or something.  (when 7.1 first campe out, so
I don't quite remember.)  Anyhow, I have to have that feature.  Do you
know whether it is working again in the current 7.1.3?  I will take a look
at it and see if I can get it working though.

Thanks for all the help,

Matthew M. Copeland