Re: PASSWORD() function for postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos
Subject Re: PASSWORD() function for postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general
I don't recal finding anything similar to MySQL's password() (quote handy if you ask me). But if you look under the
contribdirectory of your source tree you'll find a pgcrypto directory. Compile and install the functions defined in
there.
The substitute which worked in my case was: encode(digest('text_i_want_to_encode','sha1'),'hex'); It is not the same
butit is a 1-way hashing of a string (IIRC password() is 1-way)

cheers,
thalis