Re: Shared Buffers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thalis A. Kalfigopoulos
Subject Re: Shared Buffers
Date
List pgsql-general
I had the same quetions more or less. I have 256Mb ram and set it according to the 1/4 rule to ~64M
(shared_buffers=7500)after raising the /proc/sys/kernel/shmall and shmmax to 64M
Today I decided to go for double the money, and switched to 128M shmem and restarted postgres with shared_buffers=15000
(8192*15000=~120M).I didn't notice any difference :)
I assume that by "shared buffers" Pg means the area where common data is stored and by common data it means "index
blocks"(can't think what else can be shared between processes/queries). So unless you get many users hitting different
tables,you won't notice a difference.

Is there a shred of truth in this or am I...?

cheers,
thalis