Re: Tuple Max Size on 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: Tuple Max Size on 7.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 2 May 2001, David Scholes wrote:

> When trying to do a large INSERT to a table in PostgreSQL 7.1, I get the
> following error:
> Tuple is too big: size 32112, max size 8140
>
> This limit is being hit both from Perl and Coldfusion.  I am using the
> drivers that came with the 7.1 distribution.  We are running on RedHat
> 7.0 and I used the RPM's to install.
>
> My understanding was that this limit was removed in 7.1.  Any ideas?

Hmm... are you *sure* this is 7.1? (SELECT version() will remove any
doubt).

Have you tried this w/psql, to isolate this from a Perl or
ColdFusion problem?

create table a ( f1 text );

insert into a select ('1234567890', 1000);

test=# select length(f1) from a;

 length
--------
  10000

This will show if you can insert a 10000-char row.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>