Re: [HACKERS] Re: unanswered: Schema Issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: unanswered: Schema Issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, V. M. wrote:

(moving this conversation back to pgsql-general, followups to there)

> perhaps adding  t.tgargs to your view enable me to extract parameters
> that are the related fields

At SCW, we use a naming convention for RI triggers, to allow
us to easily extract that, and deal with error messages.

We use:

CREATE TABLE p (id INT);

CREATE TABLE c (id INT CONSTRAINT c__ref_id REFERENCES p);

This allows us at a glance to see in error messages what field of what
table we were referencing. In an Access front end, we can trap this
error message to a nice statement like "You're trying to change a value in
the table "c", using information in table "p", "id", but...")

If you don't have this, yes, you can look at in
the tgargs, but, given that its a bytea field, it's hard to
programmatically dig anything out of it.

HTH,
--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>