Re: unanswered: Schema Issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: unanswered: Schema Issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, V. M. wrote:

> I want to extract tables schema information, i've looked at
> src/bin/psql/describe.c  but i cannot determine the datatype
> 'serial' and
> 'references' from pg_*, i understand that triggers are generated for
> serial
> and references, so how i can understand from my perl application the
> full
> schema ?

SERIALs are just integers (int4). They don't use a trigger, but use a
sequence
as a default value.

REFERENCES are not a type of data, but a foreign key/primary key
relationship. There's still a data type (int, text, etc.)

You can derive schema info from the system catalogs. Use psql with -E for
examples, or look in the Developer Manual.

HTH,

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>