Re: table version history - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: table version history
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Tom Strickland wrote:

> I'd like to provide users with history on important tables, so that
> they can go back and examine changes. This is partly to do with the
> UK's Data Protection Act, which states that an organisation must keep
> a log of all changes to information kept on a user. I'd like to have a
> mechanism of being able to print a report on one of our clients that:
> 1) prints all current info on user (easy)
> 2) prints all changes to that user's info (not so easy).

You could add a trigger onto the table so that all updates are inserted
into a log table.

 changeid | fname | lname  |   op   |         chgat          | chgby
        1 | joel  | burton | INSERT | 2001-04-08 14:44:25-04 | joel
        2 | pup   | burton | UPDATE | 2001-04-08 14:44:25-04 | joel
        3 | pup   | burton | DELETE | 2001-04-08 14:44:25-04 | joel
--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>