Re: plpython for postgres 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Burton
Subject Re: plpython for postgres 7.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Karel Zak wrote:

> > A couple of weeks ago I received an email from Albert Langer inquiring
> > about the status of the python language module I had written for
> > postgresql.  I told him I could have the port to postgresql 7.1 done
> > by the middle of this week (march 25-31).  Well, it's the end of this
> > week, but I've finished it.  Besides the conversion to the new style
> > function manager, I've implemented a complete SPI interface.  (The 7.0
> > module couldn't execute saved plans.)  If you are interested in
> > experimenting with the module it is available at
> >
> > "http://users.ids.net/~bosma"
> >
> > download the link "tarball for postgresql 7.1"
> >
> > comments, bug reports and suggestions are appreciated.

This is *great news* -- we use Python in our office for many things, and
with Python embedded into the DB server, it makes our Zope-PostgreSQL
connection ever tighter.

I'm afraid I can't give much feedback about the code (I'm just not that
familiar w/the PG internals), but, externally it seems to work great. I'm
excited about the SD[] and GD[] dicts -- they're a nice addition for us.

For those of you considering installing this, it was a very easy install
(Linux-Madrake 7.2 (Linux 2.2.x) / Python 1.5.2). Run one diff against the
PG sources, recompile, edit a Makefile for one- or two- library locations,
and that's it. Worth playing with.

>  I hope we will see it in 7.2 ...

Indeed.

For the deep gurus: what's the downside of adding PLs to our PG
server? (Of course, adding alpha- or beta- quality PLs has clear problems,
I mean when this becomes production quality). Does each new PL bloat the
PG server? Does each new PL slow it down?

Thanks!
--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>