Re: Functions and Triggers - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Cedar Cox
Subject Re: Functions and Triggers
Date
List pgsql-sql
CREATE FUNCTION lastupdated() RETURNS opaque AS '
begin new.last_updated := CURRENT_TIMESTAMP; return new;
end;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

CREATE TRIGGER trigname BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE on tblname FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE lastupdated();

Note: you could use now() instead of CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

Note2: on a BEFORE trigger you must return new or old.  If you return null
the statement will be aborted. (?)

-Cedar