Re: Perl & DBI/DBD::Pg confusion with finish - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wheeler
Subject Re: Perl & DBI/DBD::Pg confusion with finish
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, David Lynn wrote:

> Hello -
>
> When using DBD::Pg through DBI, can somebody tell me if it is necessary
> to be calling the $sth->finish routine?  The DBI.pm documentation states
> that there is no need to call it if you call $sth->fetchrow_xxxref until
> the rows are exhausted - finish should get called automatically, and
> $sth->{'Active'} should change to false.

We've found that DBD::Pg doesn't do this. So we either have to call
$sth->finish every time, or prepare the statement with
$dbh->prepare_cached() and passing the active flag as true. It shouldn't
be this way, but it is.

HTH,

David