Re: Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Kirkpatrick
Subject Re: Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Vadim Mikheev wrote:

> I don't remember why there is abort() in XLogFileOpen just before
> appropriate elog(STOP) there - I'll remove it in few moments, - but
> it's already obvious why open failed: there is no file with checkpoint
> record pointed by pg_control - data/pg_xlog/000000000000002F.
> So, the question is who removed this file - PG or Linux?
When the system crashed, it was updating the database rather
heavily (i.e. drop everything, reload from external source). Therefore
there was a lot of activity going on to be logged. Still haven't
determined what caused the system to crash, the error message from the
kernel was along the lines 'can not handle kernel paging request'. Of
course, the machine crashed again ~12 hours later w/o any kernel error
messages. :( There may be a hardware problem with the machine that is
causing these problems....

> Ryan, do you have postmaster' log before crash (where MoveOfflineLogs
> reports WAL files to be deleted) and/or some logs from Linux' startup?
Sorry, I don't have the log file (got overwritten during reboot).
As for logs from Linux startup, I have them, but there is nothing of any
interest to postgres in them... The fsck on the disks after the system
came back up was clean, and there are no files in lost+found for the
partition the database is on.

> And meanwhile I'll take a look arround MoveOfflineLogs...
Good hunting... :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |