Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!! - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Kirkpatrick
Subject Recovery of PGSQL after system crash failing!!!
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Guess this what I get for attempting to use a beta version of
pgsql in a production system. :( My database server crashed (kernel
paging fault it looks like) and after reboot, postmaster refuses to start
up. There error it gives is:

DEBUG: starting up
DEBUG: database system was interrupted at 2001-02-11 04:08:12
DEBUG: Checkpoint record at (0, 805076492)
postmaster: reaping dead processes...
Startup failed - abort

And that is it, from running 'postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data/'. I get
the same thing each time I run it. I assume that WAL is for some reason
failing to restore/recover the database. The system is a stock Debian 2.2 system, Dual PPro200, w/pgsql
7.1beta4. The system crash occured during the nightly update of the
databases (from another, internal, non-pgsql, database system). Is there
anyway to recover the database, or do I need to do a 'rm -rf
data; initdb'? A quick response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |
|   Ryan Kirkpatrick  |  Boulder, Colorado  |  http://www.rkirkpat.net/   |