Re: [INTERFACES] pl/pgSQL & transaction - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Cedar Cox
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] pl/pgSQL & transaction
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Zolof wrote:

> This code doesn't work. I use Begin Work to start a transaction but BEGIN is
> a PL/pgSQL command so I have a parse error when executing it.
>
> CREATE FUNCTION a () RETURNS int4 AS '
> BEGIN
>    BEGIN WORK;
>    COMMIT WORK;
>     return 1;
>     END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>
> What's wrong ????

You didn't read the documentation.

"It is important not to misunderstand the meaning of BEGIN/END for
grouping statements in PL/pgSQL and the database commands for transaction
control. Functions and trigger procedures cannot start or commit
transactions and Postgres does not have nested transactions. "